Saturday, October 25, 2008

Silhouettes and Capes

My sister reminded me of the silhouettes we used to make in school as kids. She had read about an easy way to make these and so I decided to give it a try. I absolutely love the way they turned out. It really was easy and the best part? It didn't cost a dime.

Last night Kelly, Laynie and I went to a fun Halloween party. We had a great time, and how could we not with this gal in charge. We were asked to dress up as Super Heroes. I made a Super Mom Apron for me, a Super Princess cape for Laynie, and Kelly went as Psycho Therapist (a villian!).
Instructions for making silhouettes: Take a side profile picture of each child in front of a plain background with your digital camera. Download, change to black and white, and print on cardstock. Cut out along the edges of your child's profile. Paint entire picture with black craft paint (I turned mine over and painted the plain side). Let dry and glue silhouette to another sheet of cardstock. Place in frame. (I had white frames that I spray painted black). Am I right? This really could not be easier. I am kind of embarrased that you know how simple it really was. It doesn't make me look half as crafty!

5 comments:

Bright-Mom said...

Hey old friend! Do share the easy instructions for the silhouettes! I would love to make some! Oh and by the way, we still have and play with the cape you made Kate! Maybe I need to order a "boyish" one for Bowen...Stephen doesn't like him to wear pink! :)

Judy Stohl said...

I love the silhouettes and the capes - Angie, you are so talented. I miss you guys. We didn't get home in time to Skype and we may not have internet when we move into the house tomorrow. I will give you a call. Love you lots!

Kayla said...

you are so talented. i wish i had your skills (and can't wait to take advantage of them myself with my diaper bag! Yeah!). Umm..did you see our capes? Hah!

Unknown said...

I love silhouettes! I think I need one of Maren--would you mind sharing how you did them?

Also, your costumes were darling! :) We loved having you all here for the party!

Jason and Layna said...

They look great. I just need a baby to put in my third one. I love the capes.