Thursday, February 7, 2008

Destination Imagination

I know, I know! Kelly can't figure out why I always volunteer to be in charge of things I don't want to do to begin with. You mothers know. Its the guilt! And, I love Jacob for all of his energy and spunk, but I wouldn't wish it on too many other people!

So, Our latest family project is Destination Imagination. It really is a great after school activity. The challenge is:
Is there really a Loch Ness Monster? Is it possible to stop a shark attack by punching the shark in the nose? If Rapunzel really "let down her hair" could someone actually climb up her hair into a tower? Myths, folk tales and urban legends exist in many nations around the world. How do we know whether they're truth or fiction? By using the Scientific Method! Create a theatrical performance with an original story about a myth set in a nation (and using a landmark from that nation) other than the team's own. Present the results of your investigation as part of your story.
Jacob and his team (of second and third graders) have chosen to investigate whether talking to plants actually makes them grow better. Thay have chosen France as their Nation and the Eiffel Tower as their landmark. How does this all go together? Good Question! The great thing is that parents are there to support but cannot actually help with the presentation, props, etc. Did I mention they have to re-create their landmark out of recyclable materials? Now you can see what a challenge this really is.
We will keep you posted on how things progress (and hopefully they do!).

2 comments:

Jason and Layna said...

When did you get so computer savvy that you have a picture with your post. Pretty impressive! I say you ditch the whole thing and let some slacker mom do it (is that a nice thing to say?, oh well).

Cammi said...

Oh my goodness. I am assuming this is only for super smart and creative kids? I could barely understand the description - it sounds complicated! So much work -but so much fun. Go Jacob! Let us know the results of your scientific analysis. Angie - do you run the entire program? You're amazing.