Sunday, April 19, 2009

What We've Been Up To

I always have such a hard time blogging if I wait too long. It seems like we have done so much in the last few weeks and I am not quite sure where to begin. So, I will just give a quick recap of with lots of pics to keep it from getting too boring!

We went to a birthday party for the cutest girl who was turning eight years old. It is just too bad that you can't choose your child's future spouse because this sweet girl would be a shoo-in for sure!

The roller rink was very old school and looked identical to the Roller King where we grew up.

Ryan has been playing soccer. He loves it, and despite the two practices and one game each week, never tires of it. He is very proud of how well he does and has even made contact with the ball a few times (an improvement from last year!).



My parents came for Easter and we loved having them here.


Ryan had already convinced his grandpa that we had to eat at Casa Bonita and so after a trip to Red Rocks, we stopped there for dinner. My parent's lived in CO thirty three years ago (I was born here!) and although they had only been to Casa Bonita once way back then, it was exactly as they remembered it. Jacob kept challenging the cliff diver to make a bigger splash until he was completely soaked!



We also took the boys out of school early one day so that Ryan could pick out his birthday present. Afterwards we went to a great park.


My mom and I also went shopping and out to lunch (two of my most favorite things!). This is what Laynie looked like when we arrived home after she was given a small piece of a cookie. Apparently she really enjoyed it! I never did find the bow that had been in her hair!

And lastly, Jacob's Destination Imagination team competed in the State Tournament. Despite the unbelievable snow storm we had Friday and Saturday the competition was still held as planned. So, I braved the weather and drove in the worst weather I have seen to get us there on time.

We have been practicing twice a week for several months and all of their hard work paid off. Despite a few technical difficulties with their structure (While waiting to have it measured one of the kids dropped it and broke a side. Luckily, another team let them use some of their super glue. After gluing the side back on they found they had glued the entire structure to the table and had to chisel it off and start over again!) they didn't let it upset them. I am so impressed that these 8 and 9 year olds would get up in front of a large audience and perform a skit they had written by themselves. They also created all of their props and scenery by themselves. They really did do a great job!
And, here is Jacob leading his team in the Macarena as part of their skit. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Judy Stohl said...

I loved looking at all your pictures - I have looked at them several times. Jacob - your skit looks so fun - did your dad teach you how to do the Macarena or your mom? Ryan - you look great playing soccer and roller skating - wow - was that hard? Laynie - you are growing up too fast. We need you to visit us soon. Grandma and grandpa's visit looks like fun. Thanks for all the fun pictures. I miss you!

Jason and Layna said...

I wish we could have come, but apparently we are not that fun to drive with!

Cammi said...

So fun! Congratulations on doing a great job at the DI Challenge, Jacob! Awesome, macarena. Did your mom and dad tell you that people were doing that dance at their wedding? I'm glad you are so comfortable being a leader and performing in front of a crowd. That is hard to do when you are young!

RyRy - you look like you are right in the middle of things in Soccer and trying to steal the ball away! AWESOME! I'm glad you like it so much! Thanks for skyping with us last week. Was Bolt scary or funny?

Miss Laynie Lynne - I'm glad you like to eat chocolate so much! You are lucky to be a third child because that means you get to try all these yummy foods before you turn one! You look adorable with your messy face! I love all your new hairstyles. When can you come visit me. PLEASE?!

The snow looks SO CHILLY! We've had a few days of it but it never as much as you guys had last week. YUCK! Hope you're having better weather this week.

Your parents look so good in the photos, Angie! Tell them hello for me!

Love you guys!

yawningdog said...

Did you miss 11 month update in there? When my baby hit 9 months in April, I started checking in for your baby post.